Humor

Sider: 1 2 3 4 > >>
John
Forum-indlæg: 1388
Område: KBH
Dato: 3/12 2013 00:12

;)

- http://imgur.com/a/z0DAD#OxT1bg6

—Of a piece with the absurd pedagogical demand for so-called constructive criticism is the doctrine that an iconoclast is a hollow and evil fellow unless he can prove his case. Why, indeed, should he prove it? Is he judge, jury, prosecuting officer, hangman? He proves enough, indeed, when he proves by his blasphemy that this or that idol is defectively convincing—that at least one visitor to the shrine is left full of doubts. The fact is enormously significant; it indicates that instinct has somehow risen superior to the shallowness of logic, the refuge of fools. The pedant and the priest have always been the most expert of logicians—and the most diligent disseminators of nonsense and worse. The liberation of the human mind has never been furthered by such learned dunderheads; it has been furthered by gay fellows who heaved dead cats into sanctuaries and then went roistering down the highways of the world, proving to all men that doubt, after all, was safe—that the god in the sanctuary was finite in his power, and hence a fraud. One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent.

The American Mercury, H.L. Mencken
T-rex
Forum-indlæg: 571
Opskrifter: 38
Område: Århus
Dato: 3/12 2013 10:25

:D I love it.
John
Dato: 4/12 2013 08:00

:)

It's funny AND informative!
Taabis
Forum-indlæg: 491
Opskrifter: 2
Dato: 4/12 2013 22:28

John: ved du om den kan købes i DK? Og hvis ikke, er der så nogen der er friske på en fællesbestilling, den er too funny not to be shared! :-P
Earthling 2
Forum-indlæg: 633
Område: Andet
Dato: 4/12 2013 23:41 | Indlæg redigeret den: 4/12 2013 23:43

John,
OMG... I´m shocked! I think I´m going to become an atheist!!! Tomorrow... maybe?! ;)

Informative? I suppose so, if you´re biblically illiterate - as I am NOT. I guess it´s a blessing for you, and your kind, who love to quote things entirely out of context...

Awkward? No worries. I always did my own digging. I even bullied two adults into buying me my first Bible (okay, it was a Children´s Bible) when I was ten, and then proceeded to read all 257 densely packed pages in 3/4 days (awkward moments included).

I guess I was a smart and stubborn little lady. I could sort out at ten what big men like yourself can´t sort out today. ;)

Taabis,
It´s available on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Awkward-Moments-Found-Average-Childrens/dp/149217744X/

You can read a review here if you want. Seemingly it is proving effective for stimulating interesting and intelligent conversation, and I mean conversation, not confrontation, between atheists and believers... :)
http://www.christianpost.com/news/when-the-bible-is-awkward-trying-make-christians-uncomfortable-enough-to-open-their-bibles-108521/

Who knows, maybe John will send me a copy for Christmas! <3

KeepTexasBeautiful
Forum-indlæg: 1595
Dato: 5/12 2013 00:10

Bøger fra Amazon.com plejer at koste ~135,- i porto til Danmark (grundtakst), fra Amazon.co.uk er prisen ~35,- (og prisen på den aktuelle vare er ca. den samme de to steder).
Jeg foretrækker at købe brugte bøger og her gives sjældent rabat på porto, man betaler for hver enkelt vare selvom det er fra samme sælger. Det kan godt være at det kan betale sig at bestille sammen hvis man handler direkte med Amazon, kan jeg ikke lige huske.

Men ja, vil bare lige sikre mig at der ikke er nogen ivrige købere der bruger det .com-link :)
Annie
Forum-indlæg: 67
Dato: 5/12 2013 09:26 | Indlæg redigeret den: 5/12 2013 09:27

Fællesbestilling fra amazon.co.uk?

Count me in

Ret: typo
Taabis
Forum-indlæg: 491
Opskrifter: 2
Dato: 5/12 2013 11:53

Den er i vinkel, Annie, jeg bestiller på mandag, så ser vi om andre melder sig på :-).

Mine erfaringer er nu at portoen er noget højere, også fra .co.uk sitet, jeg mindes i al fald at have givet mere sidst jeg bestilte bog derfra, but det er længe siden, så I might be wrong, og jeg gider i al fald ikke bruge tid på at undersøge det ;-).
John
Dato: 5/12 2013 12:34 | Indlæg redigeret den: 5/12 2013 12:43

Jeg siden teenageårene vidst at bibelen var primitiv og stupid, men selv jeg måtte lige checke skriftstederne efter nogle gange ved læsning af denne tegneserie. Det lød simpelthen for åndssvagt til at være sandt :D

Eks. 1. Mosebog 30:37-39 i forbindelse med billedet Answers in Genetics :D

Han prøver at være nok så pædagogisk med udsagn som
"[the book] aims to encourage people ... to really think about the bible"

og
Our goal? Biblical literacy

Men det er klart at han prøver at fortælle folk at deres religion er fucking åndssvag, og at de bør vågne op til det og komme videre.

[Edit:] Og nej, Taabis. Jeg ved desværre ikke om den kan købes lokalt. Det kan den næppe, forestiller jeg mig.
Annie
Forum-indlæg: 67
Dato: 5/12 2013 12:47

Jeg betalte vist ca 70kr i porto derfra sidst - for en kæmpe stak læsestof.
Men jeg tænker, at co.uk primært er bedre for at undgå en evt told?
KeepTexasBeautiful
Forum-indlæg: 1595
Dato: 5/12 2013 13:27 | Indlæg redigeret den: 5/12 2013 13:42

@ Taabis:

De priser jeg angiver gælder for alle sælgere på Amazon.co.uk, men ikke for Amazon selv. Jeg bestilte to bøger så sent som i sidste uge. Men jeg har som sagt ikke handlet direkte med Amazon i flere år, så kan ikke udtale mig om deres takster.

Med lidt hurtig hovedregning kan jeg se at en ny bog kan købes fra ~100,- inkl. forsendelse til Danmark. Her vil der som nævnt blive opkrævet en grundtakst per bog, så der er intet at spare ved at lave en fællesbestilling. Jeg vil blive meget overrasket hvis Amazon er billigere, men det kan du jo selv undersøge :) Skrev kun fordi der blev linket til Amazon.com.

EDIT: @ Annie:

Når man handler direkte med Amazon.co.uk betaler man automatisk moms (VAT). Man betaler ikke told indenfor EU. Handler man på Amazon.com er momsen også medregnet og man skal aldrig betale told for varer til en værdi under 1150,- (desuden er bøger toldfri).
Earthling 2
Dato: 6/12 2013 00:10

Jeg siden teenageårene vidst at bibelen var primitiv og stupid

Teenagers reject God, and subsequently the Bible, for any number of reasons. It might be emotional, rebellion, genuine questions which were not met, genuine lack of knowledge, bad example from Christians. Your statement tells us nothing about the (non) existence of God, or the right/wrongness of the Bible one way or they other.

Answers in Genetics

Are you still using that site (and Ken Ham) as your source of reference??? You know that no reputable theologian, scientist or biblical scholar endorses the site?

Han prøver at være nok så pædagogisk med udsagn som... Men det er klart at han prøver at fortælle folk at deres religion er fucking åndssvag, og at de bør vågne op til det og komme videre.

I´m pretty sure everyone here is clear about what he is TRYING to do.

His little project can easily backfire on him. I mean, anyone genuinely searching for the truth would educate themselves about the context of the Biblical texts quoted in this little work of art and put them in the larger frame of the whole Bible. They would study the particular book in which the text is found, the style, the audience for whom it was written, the reason for writing it, the way it was understood in the culture in which it was written, etc. They would ask themselves if there was any person or event which might be a key to understanding the whole Bible, etc. They might also look at the larger picture and discover the very positive aspects of the Christian faith, the Bible and the contribution of many Christians down the ages. They could come to very different conclusions to the one which this young man expects...

In fact, I know very anti-Christian (Danish and English) atheists who spat on crucifixes, burnt bibles, became communists, whatever, and later ended up becoming Christians by taking this path of enquiry in a honest search for the truth..

So let him keep “trying”. He may be doing us all a favour. ;)

The author tells us that a lot of Christians live on auto-pilot, and many know all too little about the Bible. I would agree. I would say the same about some atheists... He mentions that many Christians are cultural Christians. Again, I agree. However that doesn´t mean that one is not capable of digging and delving, and then coming to an informed decision about one´s faith. (He´s young. He may yet turn back to his original heritage).

His assertion proves nothing one way or the other about the (non) existence of God, or about Christianity. One could also say that atheism is a cultural thing. I mean, second and third generation atheists growing up in an atheist environment would also fit into his framework regarding culture and tradition.

His framework does not explain why many adults who were atheists, buddhists, jews, muslims, agnostics, etc., embrace Christianity, often after a long path and a lot of struggle...
http://whyimcatholic.com/index.php/conversion-stories

So, my final word: WAKE UP!!! ;) :D

-Martin-
Forum-indlæg: 291
Opskrifter: 1
Dato: 6/12 2013 12:06

Lol! Fede tegninger - lidt ensidigt måske, så jeg foretrækker nok stadig Eddie Izzard.. :p

Det kommer nok heller ikke som en overraskelse, at jeg ikke er ubetinget fan af Mencken, som ikke overraskende er blevet genopdaget af militante nyateister og stærkt højreorienterede grupper, men jeg giver da den gamle gnavpot ret i, at tvivlen og humoren bestemt har deres berettigelse i åndslivet - nok især når de fungerer som sikkerhedsventil, maner til eftertanke og afslører fladpandet, fastgroet, forudindtaget og totalitær tomgangstænkning.

Men lad os da se lidt på nogle awkward moments, nu vi er ved det:

...it is impossible to talk anything resembling discretion or judgment to a colored woman. They are all essentially child-like, and even hard experience does not teach them anything.

I admit freely enough that, by careful breeding, supervision of environment and education, extending over many generations, it might be possible to make an appreciable improvement in the stock of the American negro, for example, but I must maintain that this enterprise would be a ridiculous waste of energy, for there is a high-caste white stock ready at hand, and it is inconceivable that the negro stock, however carefully it might be nurtured, could ever even remotely approach it. The educated negro of today is a failure, not because he meets insuperable difficulties in life, but because he is a negro. He is, in brief, a low-caste man, to the manner born, and he will remain inert and inefficient until fifty generations of him have lived in civilization. And even then, the superior white race will be fifty generations ahead of him.

The great problem ahead of the United States is that of reducing the high differential birthrate of the inferior orders, for example, the hillbillies of Appalachia, the gimme farmers of the Middle West, the lintheads of the South, and the Negroes. The prevailing political mountebanks have sought to put down a discussion of this as immoral: their aim has been to prosper and increase the unfit as much as possible, always at the expense of the fit. But this can’t go on forever, else we’ll have frank ochlocracy in America, and the progress of civilization will be halted altogether.

There are serious difficulties in their way. The vast majority of people of their race are but two or three inches removed from gorillas: it will be a sheer impossibility, for a long, long while, to interest them in anything above pork-chops and bootleg gin.

The Jews could be put down very plausibly as the most unpleasant race ever heard of. As commonly encountered they lack any of the qualities that mark the civilized man: courage, dignity, incorruptibility, ease, confidence. They have vanity without pride, voluptuousness without taste, and learning without wisdom. Their fortitude, such as it is, is wasted upon puerile objects, and their charity is mainly a form of display.

Jeg håber da, at man læser Mencken ligeså kritisk, reflekteret og nuanceret, som man påstår, man har dissekeret andre tekster allerede siden teenageårene. Men hvis man virkelig har regnet det hele ud i så ung en alder, er der nok ikke noget at være bekymret for.

;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._L._Mencken#The_man_of_ideas

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/3650267/A-misogynist-racist-fun-read.html

http://greatmindsonrace.wordpress.com/2011/10/09/h-l-mencken/

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1989/Diary-Shows-Mencken-Was-Anti-Semitic-Racist/id-e64e97725923bb7b64aa8e054aabe4b2

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2013/11/01/white-nationalist-academics-to-gather-this-weekend-for-h-l-mencken-club-annual-meeting/

Inkognito
Forum-indlæg: 287
Dato: 6/12 2013 12:32

Teenagers reject God, and subsequently the Bible, for any number of reasons. It might be that they are equipped with a brain. The End.
Earthling 2
Dato: 6/12 2013 13:41 | Indlæg redigeret den: 6/12 2013 14:05

It might be that they are equipped with a brain.

I would argue that they are, but then so are believers, unless you are claiming two separate species of human being.

When I said they could reject God because of "genuine questions which were not met, genuine lack of knowledge, bad example from Christians", etc., it was on the presumption that they have working brains! People who dig and delve, and then come to or re-affirm faith do it on the same basis.

Brains are not exclusive to atheists, despite what some of them like to think. :)

LOL! Nice one, Martin! :D

Jeff
Forum-indlæg: 1943
Område: Sjælland
Denne bruger har i år '14 doneret penge til at holde Vegetarkontakt.dk kørende.
Dato: 6/12 2013 14:38 | Indlæg redigeret den: 6/12 2013 14:38

I'm sorry, -Martin-, but have you not on numerous occasions copy/pasted and commented copiously on just what ad hominem fallacies are?
Serenity
Forum-indlæg: 1672
Område: Nordjylland
Dato: 6/12 2013 14:50 | Indlæg redigeret den: 6/12 2013 14:59

Ateister er bare generelt lidt mere logisk tænkende og kan derfor konkludere at guder, julemanden, tandfeen, spøgelser osv. bare er overtro hvor der ikke er hverken beviser eller observationer som kunne indikere at de måske findes. Hvor er det dog ærgerligt at forældre og præster fylder små letpåvirkelige sind med det lort som står i bibelen. At studere bibelen er i bedste fald spild af tid.
Earthling 2
Dato: 6/12 2013 14:58

Serenity

;)

Serenity
Forum-indlæg: 1672
Område: Nordjylland
Dato: 6/12 2013 15:02 | Indlæg redigeret den: 6/12 2013 15:14

Men jeg er hverken stærk eller moden. Jeg er til gengæld rationel nok til at kunne regne ud at universet nok ikke blev skabt af en skaber og at det at forklare noget uforklarligt(eksistensen af alt energi og materie) ved at opfinde noget endnu mere uforklarligt(gud) og sige at han/den/det skabte universet ikke giver mening. Universet har altid eksisteret.
-Martin-
Forum-indlæg: 291
Opskrifter: 1
Dato: 6/12 2013 16:44

Jeff,

Du tabte din vante!

Serenity,

Ateister er bare generelt lidt mere logisk tænkende og kan derfor konkludere at guder, julemanden, tandfeen, spøgelser osv. bare er overtro hvor der ikke er hverken beviser eller observationer som kunne indikere at de måske findes. Hvor er det dog ærgerligt at forældre og præster fylder små letpåvirkelige sind med det lort som står i bibelen. At studere bibelen er i bedste fald spild af tid.

Ikke hvis man skal tro Mencken, ifølge hvem præster og pedanter er de ypperste logikere! Det mest intelligente, og afgjort også det sjoveste, er derfor at følge sit instinkt og grine ad det, man ikke forstår.

Universet har altid eksisteret.

Måske ikke ligefrem altid men i hvert fald rigtig, rigtig længe. Tretten komma et-eller-andet milliarder år, så vidt jeg ved.

Eathling,

Good point.

Out!

:D
Sider: 1 2 3 4 > >>